Coastal Student-Athletes Post Strong Fall 2018 Semester in the Classroom
Thursday, January 10th, 2019
A record 320 Coastal Carolina student-athletes posted at a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) or better for the fall 2018 semester, including a record 138 that earned Dean's List honors. In addition, 79 Chanticleers had a perfect 4.0 GPA , earning President's List recognition for the fall term.
Headlining the group was the women's golf team; all nine members had a 3.0 GPA or better and made either the President's (five) or Dean's List (four). All eight team members on the women's tennis team posted a 3.0 or higher with six members earning either President's List (four) or Dean's List (two) honors.
On the men's side, the men's tennis team had eight of its nine members post at least a 3.0 GPA, including six that earned President's (two) or Dean's List (four) recognition, while the men's golf team had seven of its eight squad members earn a 3.0 or higher, with two each earning spots on the President's and Dean's List.
Eight other teams had over 60 percent of its roster make at least a 3.0 or better for the semester (see below), while the football team recorded a department-best 34 student-athletes combined on the President's and Dean's List.
Teams with 60 percent or more of its roster with at least a 3.0 or better GPA for the fall 2018 term:
- Baseball: 26 members posted at least a 3.0 or better (62 percent), including 14 earning either President's or Dean's List recognition;
- Women's Lacrosse: 37 members posted a 3.0 or better (90 percent), including 27 earning either President's or Dean's List accolades;
- Women's Soccer: 24 members posted a 3.0 or higher (86 percent) with 20 earning either President's or Dean's List honors;
- Men's Soccer: 20 members posted a 3.0 or better (69 percent), including 13 earning either President's or Dean's List accolades;
- Softball: 18 members had at least a 3.0 or higher (82 percent) with 14 earning either President's or Dean's List recognition;
- Women's Track & Field/Cross Country: 29 members posted at least a 3.0 or better (76 percent), including 24 receiving either President's or Dean's List recognition;
- Men's Track & Field/Cross Country: 27 members posted at least a 3.0 or higher (63 percent), including 16 receiving President's or Dean's List recognition;
- Volleyball/Beach Volleyball: 18 members on the combined rosters posted at least a 3.0 or higher (86 percent), including 13 receiving President's or Dean's List recognition.
A total of 22 Chanticleer student-athletes graduated this past December with more than 35 percent of the Chant student-athlete graduates either earning honors or receiving a graduate degree.
Headlining the group were six Chanticleers who graduated with honors, including Sara Boothe of volleyball (magna cum laude), Henrik Mueller of men's soccer (summa cum laude), Adam Lawhorn of football (cum laude), Malcolm Williams of football (cum laude), Kahlim Denmark of men's track and field (cum laude) and Romario Piggott of men's soccer (cum laude).
Nine of the 22 Chants who earned their degrees came from the football program, including James Heft, who picked up his Master of Business Administration. Volleyball standout Leah Levert earned a master's degree in liberal studies.
The previous record for CCU student-athletes receiving at least a 3.0 for a semester was 264 in the fall of 2017, while the previous mark for most earning Dean's List honors was 129, also in the fall of 2017.